Snapshot on the Handicrafts Industry in Egypt
- Promotion of Egyptian design and craftsmanship.
- Market linkages with international and local buyers and customers.
- An opportunity to showcase handmade products in an attractive fashion.
Egypt presents a unique advantage through its handicrafts industry.
- Most start-ups in the sector are owned by passionate women (designers and up and coming entrepreneurs).
- Design-led businesses have been entering the sector over the past ten years, driving export, quality improvement and value addition.
- Handicrafts fall in the micro and small industries sector.
- Women are an important workforce in crafts production (est. 60% of workforce in the sector).
- Two million artisans and support workers gain their livelihood from handicrafts.
- Crafts clusters (in villages, oases and specific districts in cities) have kept the legacy of crafts alive over thousands of years.
Handicrafts Industry Chamber (HICH)
The Chamber of Handicraft Industry was established pursuant to Ministerial Resolution No. 964 of 2015.
The Chamber is one of the chambers of the Union of Egyptian Industries, in 2017 The republican decree was issued by Law No. 2 of 2017 which allocated the Chamber and made it a governmental body with its legal personality as a public institution.
Egyptian Export Council for Handicrafts (EECH)
The Egyptian Export Council for
Handicrafts was established by a ministerial decree no. 760 on 18 November 2013, to promote, support, protect, maintain and increase the exports of modern, well-finished and
high-quality Egyptian handicrafts.
The Chamber and Export Council’s combined expertise and deep understanding of the industry, enables the organization of a winning handicrafts show that boosts sales
and promotes the Egyptian artisan and designer.
- Outreach and representation of 400 members comprised of Egyptian artisans, designers and businesses.
- Industry expertise and close ties to handicrafts business community.
- Strong business development, market linkages and export know-how.
- Connections to local and international buyers.
Our track-record in local and international handicrafts exhibitions & trade promotion
Maison et Objet (France) - (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Ambiente (Germany) - (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Index Dubai (UAE) - (2015, 2016, 2017)
Foire de Paris (France) - (2017)
Bazaar Berlin (Germany) - (2017)
Yinchuan Fair (China) - (2017)
IHS (Egypt) - (2016, 2017) + 2 incoming trade missions
Furnex (Egypt) - (2015, 2016)